As part of their ‘Blue Abyss’ topic about the world’s seas and oceans, Year 4 pupils have been investigating plastic pollution.
Here are some shocking facts that 4AbW shared this afternoon:
- 8 million tonnes of plastic are dumped in the sea every year
- There are 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic in the world’s seas and oceans
- By 2050, the amount of plastic in the ocean will outweigh the fish
- Around 1 million creatures die each year due to plastic pollution
- 60 million plastic bottles are added to the seas and oceans each year – it takes 400 years for a plastic bottle to fully degrade