This week’s whole school assembly focussed on why we care so much about reading. We have had a large rise in the number of times that our children are reading each week since January, largely due to a large investment from the PTA in our Reading Bingo initiative, and wanted to explain why reading is so powerful. Here are our top 5 reasons:
- Reading boosts memory and reduces stress.
- Reading improves concentration and gives us better focus.
- You get to access new knowledge when you read and become smarter.
- Reading allows us to improve our vocabulary so that we can express ourselves more effectively.
- Reading gives you superpowers – no one else will imagine the story in the same way as you!
This Monday’s whole school assembly was about random acts of kindness. During the week, when children have described to us how someone else has conducted a random act of kindness for them, we have rewarded them with character spots towards their character badges.
We had 44 character awards to give out in today’s celebration assembly – this smashed the record from a few weeks ago! Congratulations to everyone who received their badges today. We look forward to seeing you proudly showing them on your return to QPA after half term.
Tomorrow is ‘Safer Internet Day’. Today’s assembly reminded pupils about some important messages in order to keep themselves safe online:
- Take a minute to think about how you and others feel before posting comment.
- Be kind and fair.
- Share with respect.
http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk is a very helpful website to view with children to support the message of staying safe online.
We all thoroughly enjoyed today’s assembly led by Robin Harvey, an elite gymnast specialising in trampolining. His 5 top tips provided really thought-provoking, valuable advice:
1. Find a hobby that you love and practise.
2. Work hard.
3. Have fun!
4. Be curious and always willing to learn.
5. Take the opportunities.
This morning’s singing assembly had the added bonus of becoming a staff dance class to highlight how friends work together! The children sang fantastically throughout , as they always do every Tuesday.
A new record today! 13 pupils received a character badge during Celebration Assembly, including a rare second badge for a pupil in Year 6.