We love it when children rise to a challenge and 4U certainly have! They have smashed the record set last week by 4D by achieving a score of 162 independent reads this week. This means that every child has read at least 5 times during the week. Amazing achievement!
Congratulations to 4D who have set a new record for the number of weeks that they have won the reading trophy. This week they clocked up 140 reads in their class – excellent news for their fluency rates!
Some of our Year 6s spent their comprehension session outside, in order to complete a reading treasure hunt. They had to read and answer questions in a variety of areas in order to gain clues. This really helped to sharpen their reading skills ahead of next week’s SATs testing.
We are all ready for the rearranged World Book Day today! The theatre company are currently setting up and we are amazed at the range of characters on show.
This week’s whole school assembly focussed on why we care so much about reading. We have had a large rise in the number of times that our children are reading each week since January, largely due to a large investment from the PTA in our Reading Bingo initiative, and wanted to explain why reading is so powerful. Here are our top 5 reasons:
- Reading boosts memory and reduces stress.
- Reading improves concentration and gives us better focus.
- You get to access new knowledge when you read and become smarter.
- Reading allows us to improve our vocabulary so that we can express ourselves more effectively.
- Reading gives you superpowers – no one else will imagine the story in the same way as you!
We had 5 more reading Bingo winners today. Congratulations on your achievement!